Last Updated –
Losing a loved one is never easy, but with grieving also comes the responsibility to manage their final affairs.
This is where a death certificate comes into play. If you find yourself needing the death certificate of a loved one, the PSA has made it easier for you to obtain it.
This guide will let you in on how you can get a PSA Death Certificate online, from PSA CRS outlets, or SM Business Center.
What is a PSA Death Certificate?
Death certificates are legal records of death. When a person dies, their passing must be formally registered. Key information in a death certificate includes the name of the person who passed, their date of birth, and date of death.
Correction on the deceased’s name
You can request a death certificate if there’s a need to correct an error in the spelling of your loved one’s name.
Typographical errors resulting in an incorrect name spelling in civil registries can easily be corrected thanks to Republic Act 9048. However, you need to file a petition for correction of entry.
To correct the entry, you will be required a copy of the death certificate, as well as other requirements for the petition.
This can be filed at the Local Civil Registry Office or LCRO where the death certificate was registered. In the case of a migrant petition, it can be filed in other LCROs.
Correction on the date and place of death or Missing entries on the CoD
If there is an error in the date or place of death in the COD, or some entries are missing, simply file a petition in the LCRO.
Unreadable or unclear entries on the CoD
If the CoD issued by the PSA is blurred or unreadable, you can proceed to an LCRO to request endorsement for the PSA to issue a clear and readable CoD. If the LCRO’s copy is also blurred or unreadable, you must acquire a copy of Municipal Form 2-A.
Missing or different signature of issuing officer from Local Civil Registry Office
If there is a missing signature or a different specimen signature of the issued officer from the LCRO, you can request for endorsement of the updated signature of the issuing officer.
For copies that do not contain a signature, request to re-endorse a certified CoD copy with the signature fixed from the LCRO.
Who Can Request a PSA Death Certificate?
Those who can make this request include the children, spouse, sisters, brothers, parents, grandparents, or guardians of the person who passed.
A Court of Proper Public Official or other people authorized by the law is also permitted to do this. A lawyer may also file the petition if they have a special power of attorney or SPA issued by a relative.
Information You Need to Provide to Request a PSA Death Certificate
- Complete name of the deceased person
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Place of marriage
- Complete name and address of the requesting party
- Number of copies needed
- Purpose of the certification
How to Get a PSA Death Certificate Online via PSA Helpline
Did you know that you can request a PSA Death Certificate without leaving your home? Here’s how to request a CoD online.
Step 1: Go to https://psahelpline.ph/ and click “Order Now.”
Step 2: On the next page, select “Death,” and check the box at the bottom to signify that you accept the terms and conditions. Then, click “Continue.”
Step 3: On the next page, you will be asked whose death certificate you’re requesting. The choices include:
- My spouse
- My father
- My mother
Before clicking continue, make sure you have information about yourself and your loved one ready. This will make the request process more seamless.
Step 4: On the next page, provide your information. This includes:
- First name
- Middle name
- Last name
- Birth date
- Civil status
- Type of government-issued ID
Once done, click “Continue.”
Step 5: Enter the name and civil status of the person you’re requesting a death certificate for.
Step 6. Input the date of passing of the person you’re requesting a death certificate for.
Step 7: Indicate the place of death.
Step 8: On the next page, you will be asked whether or not the registration of the death certificate was late. If yes, click “Yes, it was registered late.” If no, click “No, it was registered on time.”
Step 9: Specify the purpose for requesting a copy of the death certificate. You can click “claims/benefits/loans” if it applies.
Step 10: List if there were legal proceedings conducted involving the deceased.
Step 11: Provide your delivery address, contact number, and email address. You can also provide up to 3 authorized representatives to receive the CoD in case you’re not present during delivery.
Step 12: Pay the Php365 fee (per copy). Here are the different payment options you can use to pay for the CoD:
- Mastercard or Visa for real-time payment. American Express and JCB cards are currently not supported
- ATM. Visit a Bancnet to settle your fee. Select the Bills Payment option to complete your transaction. This usually takes a day or two to process depending on your bank.
- Gcash. Pay through the e-wallet option
- 7-11. Visit a store with a CLIQQ machine to settle your payment
- Bayad. Pay through Bayad Outlets or TouchPay machine
- Maya. Pay through the app (no extra charge)
Things to keep in mind when requesting a CoD online:
- Make sure the recipient’s name matches the details on the ID you provided.
- Delivery usually takes 3-4 days within Metro Manila. If you live outside Metro Manila, delivery will take 3-8 working days.
- The courier requires you to present a valid government-issued ID upon delivery for security purposes.
- The courier will not release the document to anyone apart from you or those included in your list of authorized representatives, even with an authorization letter. Therefore, be ready to receive it yourself or ask your representatives to watch out for the document’s delivery.
- If you or any of your listed representatives are not available during the delivery dates, make arrangements in advance by calling (02) 8737-1111 from Mondays to Saturdays, excluding holidays. You can call from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- If the delivery attempt is unsuccessful, call the aforementioned contact number. You can also send a message on PSAHelpline.ph on Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All undelivered documents after two attempts will be returned to PSA after 30 calendar days. Payments for these documents shall be forfeited. If this happens to you, you need to place a new order again.
PSA Death Certificate Walk-in Application at PSA CRS Outlet
If you prefer to do a walk-in CoD application, follow this step-by-step guide below. For walk-in applications, the document will be issued within the same day.
Requirements needed for PSA Death Certificate:
- Authorization letter (if applicable)
- 1 valid ID: (any of the following)
How to Get PSA Death Certificate for Walk-in Application
- Get an appointment slot from the PSA Online Appointment System. Choose your preferred date, time, and PSA CRS Outlet.
- Head over to your chosen PSA CRS outlet on your scheduled time and date.
- Present the printed or digital copy of your CRS appointment slip to the information marshal for validation purposes.
- Get an Application form and Queue Ticket Number.
- Present or submit the corresponding fees, queue ticket number, accomplished application form, valid IDs, authorization letter or special power of attorney, and all supporting documents to the transacting window for screening and payment.
- Check your official receipt and count your change.
- Proceed to the releasing area on your scheduled date and time of release.
- Present the documents needed to the releasing officer. These include your official receipt, valid IDs, authorization letter or SPA, and other supporting documents.
- Check the PSA Certificate of Death for completeness and errors.
Things to remember before your PSA CRS Outlet appointment
- Prepare the payment needed: Php155 per copy of the PSA Certificate of Death
- Be there 30 minutes before your schedule
- Bring valid IDs that match the names encoded
- The authorized representative is not allowed to transfer his/her authority to another person to request the documents
- The authorized representatives are only allowed to request for 2 unrelated individuals
- Minors cannot book an appointment
- Appointments are free, and the CRS appointment slip is non-transferrable
- Only transact with PSA personnel if you have concerns or inquiries
PSA CRS Outlets
|Branch||Contact Person||Address||Telephone number(s)|
|PSA Complex – Central Outlet||FELICIDAD M. CRUZ||CRS Building, PSA Complex|
East Avenue, Diliman
Quezon City 1016
|(02) 8461-0500 loc. 201,202,205,208 |
|Caloocan City||MELIZA A. ROMERO||North Caloocan City Hall Bldg.|
Zapote Road, Camarin
Caloocan City 1400
(across Metropolitan Trial Court)
|Makati City||IMELDA B. SEMILLA||G/F Old. Bldg., Makati City Hall,|
J.P. Rizal St., Poblacion,
Makati City 1200
|Pasig City||JASMIN L. TICSAY||Pasig City Hall, Caruncho Ave., Brgy. San Nicolas,|
Pasig City 1603
|Muntinlupa City||LOURD JEAN F. FABICON||4th Floor Ayala Malls South Park|
National Road, Alabang,
Muntinlupa City 1772
|Pasay City||MAYCHELDA G. SABANGAN||Lifestyle I Bldg., Hobbies of Asia,|
#8 Diosdado Macapagal Ave.,
Pasay City 1300
|(02) 8833-3780 / 8833-8842|
|Valenzuela City||NORSAN D. GALIMAO||3rd Floor, COMELEC Building, C.J. Santos St., Malinta, Valenzuela City|
(Beside Metropolitan Trial Court Building)
PSA Death Certificate Application Walk-in at SM Business Center
If you don’t live near a PSA CRS Outlet, you can apply for a PSA Death Certificate at any SM Business Center. However, you need to wait 7 weeks for it to be processed. Here are the steps on how to request a CoD at SM:
- Fill up a Death Certificate form available at the Business Center.
- Get a payment form, and queue to pay the Php180 fee (per copy).
- Submit the documents and form required.
- After paying the fee, make sure to keep the official receipt and claim stub.
- Visit the SM Business Center on the release date to claim your CoD copy.
- Check the PSA Certificate of Death for completeness and errors.
- How to Get a PSA Marriage Certificate Online
- How to Get a PSA Birth Certificate Online
- How to Get a CENOMAR Online