Last Updated on –
In recent years, Filipinos have embraced the convenience and joy of online shopping.
In fact, three-quarters of the 69 million internet users in the Philippines shop online.
However, the growth of eCommerce in the country is not as great as one would imagine and it may be because Pinoys still believe that “Cash is king.”
Despite the availability of different payment methods, Filipino online shoppers still prefer COD.
According to the World Bank, fewer than one in 50 Filipinos are credit card owners. That may be one of the reasons, along with the fact that only four in 10 internet users use a mobile wallet service.
While that is not a bad number, there are still so many who have yet to enjoy the perks of e-wallets.
Whether or not you are already using an e-wallet it’s a good idea that you learn as much as you can about it. After all, it’s not impossible that a few years from now, it’s all we use for all our transactions.
What is a mobile wallet?
Investopedia defines a mobile wallet as a virtual wallet that allows users to store payment card information on mobile devices. A mobile wallet user can conveniently pay for their purchases at any store that is in the mobile wallet service provider’s list of partner merchants.
Mobile wallets are apps that you can install on your smartphone or tablet. It may even be among the built-in features of your phone. Mobile wallets can securely store your credit card and debit card info, as well as any coupons or reward card points you have.
E-Wallets vs. Online Banking
Some people use the terms e-wallet and mobile banking interchangeably but e-wallets should not be confused with online banking apps.
There are actually a few differences between the two but here’s the core difference.
Depending on your bank, your phone may be allowed to function as an NFC device for payments. On the other hand, a digital wallet acts as a substitute for an actual wallet that you can fund with money from your bank.
You can transfer money from your bank to your e-wallet and use the latter for online and in-store payments.
Benefits of Using Mobile Wallets
There are a lot of benefits that come with the use of mobile wallets. Here are some of them.
- You don’t have to bring cash with you all the time. The number of establishments that accept digital payments is ever-growing – from restaurants to gas stations and retail stores. You can pay for the things that you need with a few taps on your smartphones.
- You can keep track of your purchases easily. There’s no need to have a dedicated purse for all your receipts because you can access them all through the records on your e-wallet.
- E-wallet subscriptions often come with frequent discounts and cashback offers, especially when you use it to pay for your bills.
Best Mobile E-Wallets in the Philippines
You’re now convinced that an e-wallet is a must-have. Also, you’re probably wondering which one you should subscribe to.
It really depends on what you need. Check out some of your best options, their pros and cons, and how you can sign up for each mobile wallet.
Telco giant Globe is the company behind GCash which is among the top finance apps on the App Store and Google Play Store.
- You can do both local and international purchases online thanks to GCash’s affiliation with American Express Virtual Pay.
- You can earn GScore points which can be used to open and increase your credit limit with GCredit. As the name suggests, GCredit works like a credit card with a ‘buy now, pay later’ function.
- You can conveniently pay for your purchases via QR code scanning in their partner establishments.
- You can choose from different cash-in/cash-out methods.
- You can send money to and receive from fellow GCash users.
- You can do various transactions from paying bills, booking movies, and topping up or borrowing load, among others. You also get corresponding rebates or rewards for your transactions.
- You’ll be charged 20php for cash outs amounting to over 1000php.
How to Register an Account in GCash
You can register via the GCash App, via Messenger, or via the *124# menu.
Via the GCash App
- Download the app via the App Store or the Play Store.
- Register your mobile number and click next. Wait for the 6-digit verification code that will be sent to your phone. Send back that code.
- Read the Terms and Conditions carefully and click accept once you’re done.
- Fill out the next pages with your personal information.
- Create your MPIN. This is a four-digit combination that you’ll be using for all your GCash transactions.
Via the *143# Menu
- Dial *143# on your smartphone.
- Select “GCash”
- Choose “Register”
- Key in your GCash Pin as well as your name, address, and birth year.
- Wait for the registration confirmation message.
- Look for @gcashofficial on your Messenger app.
- Click “Start an Account.”
- Add your mobile number and select “Continue.”
- Go through the Terms and Conditions and accept them at the end.
- You’ll get a confirmation message when your account is ready.
- Create your Pin. You’ll be asked to enter it twice then you’ll get another message confirming your GCash pin creation.
PayMaya is the mobile wallet entry of Globe’s rival telco company, PLDT. PayMaya offers the usual features of e-wallets plus a few extra perks.
- You can pay with a quick scan of the QR code in establishments affiliated with PayMaya.
- You can instantly get a virtual Mastercard that you can use for online shopping upon the activation of your e-wallet (even if it’s not verified yet).
- You can deposit money into your PayMaya wallet without going through the verification process.
- You can pay bills, purchase prepaid load with five percent cash back, and send money to and receive money from other PayMaya users. You get to enjoy regular promos and discounts too.
- You’ll be charged 15php for every 1000php cash-in.
- You need to maintain a balance of at least 100php to get your virtual card activated.
- If you want a tangible card for cash withdrawal, you’ll need to go through their verification process. You will need a valid ID issued by the government for this.
How to Register an account in PayMaya:
- Go to the App Store or Google Play Store to download the app.
- You’ll be asked to fill out their online form. Once you have completed this, click “Continue.”
- Select the View Card button.
- Add your birthday and address.
- You’ll go to the Online Payment Card Number page where you’ll complete the required information. Wait for your account activation confirmation.
3. Coins PH
If you want a mobile wallet that you can use even without a credit card or even a bank account and would allow you to purchase digital currency, Coins.PH might be for you.
- You can use it to shop online and to purchase game credits, Beep load, prepaid load (where you get 10 percent cash back), and pay your bills, among others.
- It lets you buy and sell Bitcoin, XRP, and Ethereum and other cryptocurrencies.
- You get a 50php reward for every referral.
- You can choose from various methods for cash-ins-and-outs. You can even withdraw cardless via Security Bank ATMs.
- The exchange rate for cryptocurrency-to-peso may be different from international rates because their exchange rate is fixed by Coins.ph.
- There are extra charges and fees when you use Coins outside of Metro Manila.
How to Register an account in Coins PH
You can sign up for a Coins.ph account either on your desktop or mobile device.
Via Mobile App
- Search for the Coins.ph app on the App Store or Play Store, download, and open it.
- Tap either the “Sign Up” or “Sign Up with Facebook” button.
- Enter either your mobile number or your email address and your password.
- Hit the “Create Account” button.
- Check your phone or email for the verification code that you should enter on the verification page on the app before you tap the “Verify” button.
As you can probably guess, the company behind GrabPay is Grab – one of Southeast Asia’s top mobile technology companies.
- It offers easy payment for Grab ride and Grab express deliveries, and load purchases.
- There are many cash-in and cash-out options to choose from.
- You can get up to 100php cashback when you purchase SM Cinema tickets
- There are only limited services but more are expected to be added soon.
How to Register an account in GrabPay
- From the Grab app, tap the GrabPay wallet icon.
- Choose “Set up GrabPay wallet.”
- Enter and submit the required information.
- Your wallet is ready for your first top-up. Tap on the GrabPay icon and select “Top-up.”
- Follow the instructions. Upon completion, your available credits will be displayed instantly.
Pinoy freelancers who have worked for foreign clients have most likely used PayPal. Presently, it’s one of the biggest platforms for digital platforms, allowing multi-currency transfers in more than 200 countries.
- It is available internationally so you can send and receive money wherever you may be.
- Paypal is among the most accepted payment method whether for eCommerce or other industries.
- PayPal can be linked to your bank account, as well as your credit cards and even other mobile wallets so it’s easier to manage your e-money.
- PayPal doesn’t offer additional services or give rewards for the use of their app and service.
- Before you can withdraw funds from PayPal, your account has to be verified first. Once you’ve done that, you have to provide your bank account name, bank account number, and the bank code.
- It takes about three to five business days to transfer your funds from PayPal to your bank account (unless you are using EON).
- There are PayPal fees per transaction with the amount depending on whether you are making a commercial or personal payment.
How to Register an account in PayPal
- Download the PayPal app from the App Store or Play Store or go to their website.
- Choose between the options “Sign Up for Free” and “Sign Up.” Note that standard accounts are free and Pro accounts cost $30 a month.
- Enter your email address and password.
- You will be asked to fill out a form with your personal information. Make sure you complete this.
- Add your debit or credit card. This is an optional step at this point but you’ll have to do it at some point for verification.
- Enter your bank account info. If you only need PayPal to send money, you may opt to do this later.
- You’ll be asked if you wish to apply for PayPal credit. You can simply choose “No, thanks” if you are not interested.
- You’ll receive an email for verification. Follow the instruction to verify your account.
6. 7-Eleven CLIQQ Rewards
7-Eleven’s CLIQQ app is a fun offering from one of the most popular convenience store chains that allows their customers to earn points that can be used to buy products, mobile load, and more. You can also top it up and use it as an e-wallet.
- You can pay your bills and buy products with the points you earn from your purchases at their store.
- It gives you free access to internet in their stores.
- It’s easy to top-up your Cliqq account because 7-Eleven is everywhere.
- It can only be used exclusively in their stores or their online shop CLIQQShop.com.
How to Register for CLIQQ Rewards
- Download the CLIQQ App for free.
- Enter your mobile number and tap “Continue with Mobile.”
- You will receive a 4-digit verification code which you will enter on the app.
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Your CLIQQ Rewards app can now be used.
The partnership between three companies (BPI, Ayala Corp., and Globe Telecom) gave birth to BanKO in 2009. It is now a mobile wallet that is a subsidiary of BPI.
- You can use it for shopping and buying mobile load.
- It can be used to pay for your bills.
- It allows local and international remittances.
- You can send money to and receive money from other BanKO holders.
- The registration process can be tedious.
How to Register an account in BanKO
- Visit the nearest BanKO outlet.
- Make sure you have either a Globe or TM SIM card, a valid ID and a photocopy of that ID. Your ID should be one of the following:
- Fill out their application form.
- Submit the form and the requirements.
Moneygment may be different from other e-wallets in that it allows you to manage your budget and payables better on top of its ability to send money.
- It allows you to compute for pay, and file your taxes.
- It lets you pay for your Philhealth, Pag-Ibig, and SSS contributions easily.
- You can also pay for your utilities, as well as apply and pay for your insurance.
- You can send money and even apply for a loan.
- You’ll be charged a small fee every time you make a payment.
- The registration process can be a hassle for some.
How to Register an account in Moneygment
- Download the Moneygment App.
- Sign Up using your Gmail or Facebook account.
- Fill out the form with your personal information. The information you supply here will be used to autofill your payment forms in the future.
- You can now fund your account so you can use Moneygment to pay your contributions and bills.
With the perks that these e-wallets offer, there’s no reason for you not to give them a try.
Choose one that can deliver what you need and experience the convenience of having a mobile wallet! Which one appeals to you the most?
Download what you think is the best e-wallet and be a part of our transition to a cashless country.