Last Updated on –
What’s the best e-wallet in the Philippines?
When it comes to popularity, Gcash is the best mobile wallet in the Philippines. It allows you to easily pay bills, transfer money, buy load, or make online purchases. Additionally, GCash offers a wide range of features and services, including cash-in and cash-out options, investing, and loans.
But when it comes to international online shopping and sending money to people abroad, PayPal is the clear winner. Meanwhile, Maya is a favorite among people who want to enjoy high interest rates (up to 10% boosted interest p.a. daily).
In recent years, Filipinos have embraced the convenience and joy of online shopping.
In fact, almost half of the 85.16 million internet users in the Philippines shop online.
However, the growth of eCommerce in the country is not as great as one would imagine and it may be because Pinoys still believe that “Cash is king.”
Despite the availability of different payment methods, Filipino online shoppers still prefer COD.
Although, there has been significant growth in the number of Filipino internet users making digital payments in 2022 (47.43 million).
According to the World Bank, fewer than one in 50 Filipinos1 are credit card owners (or only 8.1% of the country’s total population). That may be one of the reasons, along with the fact that only 21.7% of internet users use a mobile wallet service.
While that is not a bad number, there are still so many who have yet to enjoy the perks of e-wallets.
Whether or not you are already using an e-wallet it’s a good idea that you learn as much as you can about it. After all, it’s not impossible that a few years from now, it’s all we use for all our transactions.
What is a mobile wallet?
Investopedia defines a mobile wallet as a virtual wallet that allows users to store payment card information on mobile devices. A mobile wallet user can conveniently pay for their purchases at any store that is in the mobile wallet service provider’s list of partner merchants.
Mobile wallets are apps that you can install on your smartphone or tablet. It may even be among the built-in features of your phone. Mobile wallets can securely store your credit card and debit card info, as well as any coupons or reward card points you have.
eWallets vs. Online Banking
Some people use the terms e-wallet and mobile banking interchangeably but e-wallets should not be confused with online banking apps.
There are actually a few differences between the two but here’s the core difference.
Depending on your bank, your phone may be allowed to function as an NFC device for payments. On the other hand, a digital wallet acts as a substitute for an actual wallet that you can fund with money from your bank.
You can transfer money from your bank to your e-wallet and use the latter for online and in-store payments.
Benefits of Using Mobile Wallets
There are a lot of benefits that come with the use of mobile wallets. Here are some of them.
- You don’t have to bring cash with you all the time. The number of establishments that accept digital payments is ever-growing – from restaurants to gas stations and retail stores. You can pay for the things that you need with a few taps on your smartphones.
- You can keep track of your purchases easily. There’s no need to have a dedicated purse for all your receipts because you can access them all through the records on your e-wallet.
- eWallet subscriptions often come with frequent discounts and cashback offers, especially when you use it to pay for your bills.
Best Mobile E-Wallets in the Philippines
You’re now convinced that an e-wallet is a must-have. Also, you’re probably wondering which one you should subscribe to.
It really depends on what you need. Check out some of your best options, their pros and cons, and how you can sign up for each mobile wallet.
- You can do both local and international purchases online thanks to GCash’s affiliation with American Express Virtual Pay.
- You can earn GScore points which can be used to open and increase your credit limit with GCredit. As the name suggests, GCredit works like a credit card with a ‘buy now, pay later’ function.
- You can conveniently pay for your purchases via QR code scanning in their partner establishments.
- You can choose from different cash-in/cash-out methods.
- You can send money to and receive from fellow GCash users.
- You can do various transactions from paying bills, booking movies, and topping up or borrowing load, among others. You also get corresponding rebates or rewards for your transactions.
- You’ll be charged 20php for cash outs amounting to over 1000php.
- Cashing in also has a 2% service fee once you reach the 8,000 monthly cap
How to Register an Account in GCash
You can register via the GCash App, via Messenger, or via the *124# menu.
Via the GCash App
- Download the app via the App Store or the Play Store.
- Register your mobile number and click next. Wait for the 6-digit verification code that will be sent to your phone. Send back that code.
- Read the Terms and Conditions carefully and click accept once you’re done.
- Fill out the next pages with your personal information.
- Create your MPIN. This is a four-digit combination that you’ll be using for all your GCash transactions.
Via the *143# Menu
- Dial *143# on your smartphone.
- Select “GCash”
- Choose “Register”
- Key in your GCash Pin as well as your name, address, and birth year.
- Wait for the registration confirmation message.
- Look for @gcashofficial on your Messenger app.
- Click “Start an Account.”
- Add your mobile number and select “Continue.”
- Go through the Terms and Conditions and accept them at the end.
- You’ll get a confirmation message when your account is ready.
- Create your Pin. You’ll be asked to enter it twice then you’ll get another message confirming your GCash pin creation.
Maya is the mobile wallet entry of Globe’s rival telco company, PLDT. Maya offers the usual features of e-wallets plus a few extra perks.
- You can pay with a quick scan of the QR code in establishments affiliated with Maya.
- You can instantly get a virtual Mastercard that you can use for online shopping upon the activation of your e-wallet (even if it’s not verified yet).
- You can deposit money into your Maya wallet without going through the verification process.
- You can pay bills, purchase prepaid load with five percent cash back, and send money to and receive money from other Maya users. You get to enjoy regular promos and discounts too.
- You’ll be charged 15php for every 1000php cash-in.
- You need to maintain a balance of at least 100php to get your virtual card activated.
- If you want a tangible card for cash withdrawal, you’ll need to go through their verification process. You will need a valid ID issued by the government for this.
How to Register an account in Maya:
- Go to the App Store or Google Play Store to download the app.
- You’ll be asked to fill out their online form. Once you have completed this, click “Continue.”
- Select the View Card button.
- Add your birthday and address.
- You’ll go to the Online Payment Card Number page where you’ll complete the required information. Wait for your account activation confirmation.
3. Coins PH
- You can use it to shop online and to purchase game credits, Beep load, prepaid load (where you get 10 percent cash back), and pay your bills, among others.
- It lets you buy and sell Bitcoin, XRP, and Ethereum and other cryptocurrencies.
- You get a 50php reward for every referral.
- You can choose from various methods for cash-ins-and-outs. You can even withdraw cardless via Security Bank ATMs.
- The exchange rate for cryptocurrency-to-peso may be different from international rates because their exchange rate is fixed by Coins.ph.
- There are extra charges and fees when you use Coins outside of Metro Manila.
How to Register an account in Coins PH
You can sign up for a Coins.ph account either on your desktop or mobile device.
Via Mobile App
- Search for the Coins.ph app on the App Store or Play Store, download, and open it.
- Tap either the “Sign Up” or “Sign Up with Facebook” button.
- Enter either your mobile number or your email address and your password.
- Hit the “Create Account” button.
- Check your phone or email for the verification code that you should enter on the verification page on the app before you tap the “Verify” button.
As you can probably guess, the company behind GrabPay is Grab – one of Southeast Asia’s top mobile technology companies.
- It offers easy payment for Grab ride, GrabMart, Grab food/express deliveries, bills payment, and load purchases.
- There are many cash-in and cash-out options to choose from.
- GrabPay Card (powered by Mastercard) – works like a debit card and accepted by millions of online merchants worldwide (that allows users to use their GrabPay balance anywhere).
- Earn Grab Rewards when you use GrabPay
- There are only limited services but more are expected to be added soon.
- Only serves some of the major cities in the Philippines – Metro Manila, Cebu, Davao City, Bacolod, Subic, Bataan, Pampanga, Cagayan De Oro, Baguio, Naga, and Iloilo
How to Register an account in GrabPay
- From the Grab app, tap the GrabPay wallet icon.
- Choose “Set up GrabPay wallet.”
- Enter and submit the required information.
- Your wallet is ready for your first top-up. Tap on the GrabPay icon and select “Top-up.”
- Follow the instructions. Upon completion, your available credits will be displayed instantly.
Pinoy freelancers who have worked for foreign clients have most likely used PayPal. Presently, it’s one of the biggest platforms for digital platforms, allowing multi-currency transfers in more than 200 countries.
- It is available internationally so you can send and receive money wherever you may be.
- Paypal is among the most accepted payment method whether for eCommerce or other industries.
- PayPal can be linked to your bank account, as well as your credit cards and even other mobile wallets so it’s easier to manage your e-money.
- PayPal doesn’t offer additional services or give rewards for the use of their app and service.
- Before you can withdraw funds from PayPal, your account has to be verified first. Once you’ve done that, you have to provide your bank account name, bank account number, and the bank code.
- It takes about three to five business days to transfer your funds from PayPal to your bank account (unless you are using EON).
- There are PayPal fees per transaction with the amount depending on whether you are making a commercial or personal payment.
How to Register an account in PayPal
- Download the PayPal app from the App Store or Play Store or go to their website.
- Choose between the options “Sign Up for Free” and “Sign Up.” Note that standard accounts are free and Pro accounts cost $30 a month.
- Enter your email address and password.
- You will be asked to fill out a form with your personal information. Make sure you complete this.
- Add your debit or credit card. This is an optional step at this point but you’ll have to do it at some point for verification.
- Enter your bank account info. If you only need PayPal to send money, you may opt to do this later.
- You’ll be asked if you wish to apply for PayPal credit. You can simply choose “No, thanks” if you are not interested.
- You’ll receive an email for verification. Follow the instruction to verify your account.
Related: How to Send Money to the Philippines
6. BPI Direct BanKo
The partnership between three companies (BPI, Ayala Corp., and Globe Telecom) gave birth to BanKO in 2009. It is now a mobile wallet that is a subsidiary of BPI.
BanKo is a savings bank app created by BPI for users to buy mobile load, send money to third-party accounts, pay for bills and insurances, and international remittance using a smartphone.
Users also have the option to use this app to shop even without cash through their BancNet partner establishments nationwide.
- Make bills payments easily using the app.
- Get loans to add capital for small businesses using the NegosyoKo Loan service.
- Send money hassle-free.
- Buy load for your phone using the BanKo platform.
- Have access to local and international remittances using your smartphone.
- Minimum savings deposit of PHP 200 to register and get your BanKo debit card.
- No maintaining balance is required to keep your account active.
- Earn monthly interest with your savings.
- Some users expressed difficulty registering on the platform.
- The app frequently crashes.
How to register:
- Download the BanKo mobile app through Google Play Store or App Store.
- Add all necessary information to register your account. Keep a valid ID with signature on hand for selfie verification.
- Add username and password to access your BanKo account; you will be asked to have a 6-digit MPIN to authorize transactions.
- After finalizing your registration, a KYC reference number will be sent to you via text message.
- Go to the nearest BanKo branch or cash agent to process your account with the initial PHP 200 deposit, valid ID, and KYC reference number.
Moneygment may be different from other e-wallets in that it allows you to manage your budget and payables better on top of its ability to send money.
- It allows you to compute for pay, and file your taxes.
- It lets you pay for your Philhealth, Pag-Ibig, and SSS contributions easily.
- You can also pay for your utilities, as well as apply and pay for your insurance.
- You can send money and even apply for a loan.
- You’ll be charged a small fee every time you make a payment.
- The registration process can be a hassle for some.
How to Register an account in Moneygment
- Download the Moneygment App.
- Sign Up using your Gmail or Facebook account.
- Fill out the form with your personal information. The information you supply here will be used to autofill your payment forms in the future.
- You can now fund your account so you can use Moneygment to pay your contributions and bills.
8. DragonPay Credits
DragonPay offers alternative online payment solutions to businesses of all sizes, supplying greater security and convenience than traditional credit cards by utilizing the network of Philippine and non-traditional outlets.
- Users can opt for DragonPay Credits to purchase services and goods online and through e-commerce platforms that only accept real-time payments.
- Convenient and easy check-outs when your online banking system is down.
- Faster and hassle-free check-outs when you load DragonPay Credits inside the ewallet from any PH partner bank.
- Turn your points into Cebu Pacific Getgo points or Robinson Rewards Points every time you use your ewallet.
- Supports gamers using PS4 accessories and games, including Datablitz.
- Supports all your PayPal transactions.
- Technical support may take time to correct an issue.
How to Register:
- Download the DragonPay mobile app in Android Play Store; the Web version is available for non-android users.
- Register by filling out the necessary details, including your email address and 6-digit PIN.
- Confirm registration in the email you used for DragonPay Credit registration.
9. Lazada Wallet
Anyone with a mobile phone can shop and pay for goods on Lazada (using Lazada Wallet) since it supports all types of electronic transactions.
They also offer IRL services like top-up, promotion coupons, and refund just by walking into one of their partner establishments for seamless transactions.
- Contactless payments for all purchases.
- Seamless integration for top-ups, refunds, and bills payments from partner banks and establishments.
- Secure transactions for safer shopping at any time.
- Get your money back for cancelled purchases instantly without going through the hassle of customer support.
- Get a chance to win promos with Lazada’s regular raffles.
- Use the e-wallet to load your phone or pay your utility bills.
- Earn rewards and get cash back with every purchase using Lazada Wallet.
- Discount vouchers as perks for using Lazada Wallet.
- Expect a service fee to be added on top of your bill.
- Rebates do not accumulate over time and return to zero every cycle.
- Top-up money added to Lazada Wallet is non-transferable to any online banks and other e-wallets.
How to register:
- Download the Lazada app in App Store or Android Play Store.
- Register on the Lazada app and fill in all the necessary details, including email address and contact details.
- A link is sent to your registered email for confirmation.
- Go back to the Lazada store and click on the wallet icon.
- Click the ‘Activate’ icon located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- A wallet OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Use this OTP to activate your Lazada Wallet.
10. 7-11 CLIQQ Pay
Imagine it’s a sunny Saturday morning, and you’re just about to pick up some coffee from your favorite store, but you realize that you don’t have any cash with you. CLIQQ Pay eases this problem as it comes with an electronic wallet that you can use at 7-11 stores by presenting a barcode.
Earn points for each purchase you make through deals found in the Rewards Catalog too.
- You get free access to CLIQQ’s WiFi in exchange for points accumulated using CLIQQ Pay.
- Purchase goods in any 7-11 stores utilizing the e-wallet.
- No data? You can use points earned to convert into regular mobile data.
- Load your Lazada Wallet using the app.
- Daily check-in using the app will give you CLIQQ Rewards points.
- Use your CLIQQ e-wallet in any 7-11 store to earn points in exchange for goodies and treats.
- Skip the line and use the app for convenient Pera Padala services
- Earn as much as 50 points per month whenever you use CLIQQ Pay.
- Make quick loans for emergency uses (conditions apply).
- Use CLIQQ Pay frequently to get rebates.
- Hassle-free top-ups, bills payments, e-money transfers, and load purchases.
- You may not be able to use CLIQQ Pay rewards if the system is offline.
How to register:
- Download the CLIQQ app in Google Play Store or App Store.
- Sign in using your Facebook account or CLIQQ Pay registered mobile number.
- Complete account details through the app’s homepage and click ‘Profile’ to get access. Be sure to add your full name, complete address, and a profile photo (as needed).
11. ML Wallet
M Lhuillier’s mobile app allows you to draw and send cash, reload prepaid mobile numbers, or pay bills using smartphones.
ML Wallet is an ideal app to have if you want a faster and convenient way to send and get money, even if you have limited access to banks or other similar establishments.
- Fast money transfers from wallet to wallet, wallet to a bank, or use Kwarta Padala conveniently anywhere at any time.
- Purchase e-load for family and friends.
- Pay your bills on time using the bill payments services.
- Get free cash out free with every use.
- Cash in money in any MLhuillier store nationwide and get up to PHP 50,000 per transaction using the ML Wallet.
- Frequent receivers are added to your list for smoother future transactions.
- E-loads are only available for Sun and Smart subscribers.
- The system is still in progress, so expect some glitches using the app.
How to register:
- Download this mobile app through Google Android Play Store, Apple App Store, or Huawei App Gallery.
- After the app is downloaded, create an account to register. Create a username, password, and numerical transaction pin.
- Once done filling out the registration, click ‘submit’.
- Add personal information, including full name, address, and valid ID, for verification purposes. You will also be asked to answer security questions.
- A verification code will be sent to you shortly after you’ve accomplished all steps.
- Add the verification code to the space provided so you can use the ML Wallet afterwards.
12. Trust Wallet
Trust Wallet is an e-wallet that lets you access various cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin.
You can use this user-controlled wallet for all your transactions and know precisely when they’re happening by being in charge of the whole process.
- Easy-to-navigate interface anyone can use.
- Get Bitcoin at a whim for only 5 minutes.
- Earn interest with cryptocurrencies saved on your wallet.
- Check your art and NFT in the Trust Wallet platform.
- Hassle-free trade for any cryptocurrency within the app.
- Track favorite cryptos and trade for maximum profits.
- Safe and secure platform to prevent scams and hacking.
- Unique DApps browser to check your favorite decentralized apps.
- Slow customer support.
- Lack of transparency with their fee structure.
- Lack of KYC.
How to register:
- Download the Trust Wallet app through Google Play Store or App Store.
- Create a new wallet and add all the necessary details.
- Once all information is encoded, you can now use the Trust Wallet to trade or send crypto.
With the perks that these e-wallets offer, there’s no reason for you not to give them a try.
Choose one that can deliver what you need and experience the convenience of having a mobile wallet! Which one appeals to you the most?
Download what you think is the best e-wallet and be a part of our transition to a cashless country.