How to Get a Philippine Passport: DFA Online Appointment & Requirements

Last Updated on – Dec 14, 2022 @ 6:21 pm

At the start of 2018, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) introduced the 10-year valid passport. This is doubled in period from the previous five-year effectivity travelers used to enjoy.

The DFA said the extension is expected to benefit many, as you would then be saved from the hassle of going through the application or renewal process every so often.

So if your passport is set to expire this year or it’s your first time to apply for one, here is a step-by-step guide to getting this upgraded passport.

Philippine Passport Application & Renewal Requirements:

The requirements (as well as documents needed) to apply or renew a Philippine Passport may vary depending on the type of applicant. But here are the most common requirements:

Read more below for the extensive lists of requirements for each applicant type.

Related: How to get a Philippine National ID

What Are The Passport Requirements For Applicants Who Are Minors?

For minors or those below 18 years old, they need to comply with the following:

  • Confirmed appointment (except for those 1 year old and below)
  • Personal appearance of the applicant
  • If a legitimate child, personal appearance of either parent and both the parents’ valid passports and Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) authenticated marriage certificate. If illegitimate, the personal appearance of mother, accompanied with an ID or valid passport will suffice.
  • Original Birth Certificate of minor in Security Paper issued by the PSA or a Certified True Copy (CTC) of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) and duly authenticated by PSA. When PSA birth certificates are blurred, a transcribed copy from the LCR is required. If minor was born abroad, a Report of Birth from the PSA should be presented.
  • For both first-time and renewal applicants who are at least eight years old, a document of identity with photo (e.g. a school ID or Form 137 with readable dry seal)
  • For those who never attended school, a Notarized Affidavit of Explanation executed by either parent (for legitimate child) or by mother (if illegitimate) where the reasons why the child is not in school, is required
  • Original and photocopy of valid passport of the person traveling with the minor

Aside from these core requirements, here are additional documents for those who fall under these specific cases:

1. If the minor is not traveling with either parent or is alone:

  • For legitimate children, personal appearance of either parent is required. For illegitimate children, the personal appearance of mother.
  • An Affidavit of Support and Consent (ASC) is always executed by a parent.  In this document, the name of the traveling companion and relationship to the minor should be detailed. If the minor will be traveling alone, the ASC must state that the applicant will be traveling alone. If minor is illegitimate, the mother should complete the ASC.
  • Original and photocopy of a clearance from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). Note that this document is not required if the minor has parents who are in the Foreign Service, living abroad, or are immigrants. However, the minor should present a valid pass (e.g. a dependent’s visa/pass/identification card or permanent resident visa/pass identification card) to serve as proof that the applicant is living with parents abroad. Here is the DFA’s list of acceptable IDs.

2. If both parents are abroad:

  • An ASC with the same specifications required when minor is not traveling with either parent or is alone. Only this time, an ASC of a legitimate child should be authenticated by the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate General
  • Special Power of Attorney (SPA) with an attached photocopy of either parent’s valid passport. This authorizes a representative in helping the minor to apply for a passport. As with the ASC, this should also be authenticated by the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate General. If minor is illegitimate, mother should execute the SPA.
  • Original and photocopy of DSWD Clearance. The same specifications required when a minor is not traveling with either parent or is alone are applied.
  • Proper ID of the duly authorized representative

3. If legitimated by subsequent marriage of parents:

  • PSA-authenticated Birth Certificate that includes annotation regarding the new status as legitimated and the full name of the child

4. If illegitimate but acknowledged by father:

  • PSA-authenticated Birth Certificate where the use of the father’s surname is reflected
  • Affidavit of Acknowledgement of Paternity and Consent to use the father’s last name

5. Foundling:

  • PSA-authenticated foundling certificate
  • DSWD Clearance
  • Passport of the person who found the applicant
  • Letter of authority or endorsement from DSWD for the issuance of passport

6. If orphaned:

  • PSA-authenticated Death Certificates of parents
  • Court order awarding guardianship of the orphaned minor applicant or substitute parental authority, as provided by Article 214 & 216 of the Family Code
  • DSWD Clearance

7. If abandoned:

  • Court order awarding guardianship of the abandoned minor applicant or substitute parental authority
  • DSWD Clearance

8. If legally adopted:

  • Original and CTC of PSA Birth Certificates pre- and post-adoption
  • CTC of the Court Decision or Order on Adoption and Certificate of Finality
  • DSWD clearance, if traveling with the person other than the adopting parents

9. If applicant is for adoption by foreign parents:

  • CTC of the Court Decree of Abandonment of Child
  • PSA Death Certificate of the child’s parents or the Deed of Voluntary Commitment executed after the birth of the child
  • DSWD’s endorsement of applicant to the Inter-country Adoption Board
  • Authenticated Birth or Foundling Certificate

10. For those whose parents are annulled or divorced:

  • Court order awarding guardianship of the minor applicant or substitute parental authority
  • DSWD Travel Clearance
  • PSA Marriage Certificate with annotation on nullity or annulment decree

11. For those whose mothers are also minors:

  • Personal appearance of mother and maternal grandparent/s
  • PSA-authenticate Birth Certificate of minor applicant and mother
  • ASC executed by the maternal grandparent/s indicating the name of the traveling companion
  • DSWD Clearance if minor will be traveling with the person other than the maternal grandparent/s
  • Proof of identity of mother and maternal grandparent/s

What Are The Passport Requirements For Adults Or Citizens At Least 18 Years Old?

If you are at least 18 years old, you need to comply with the following requirements:

  • Confirmed online appointment
  • Personal appearance
  • Accomplished Application Form
  • Original copy of PSA-authenticated Birth Certificate on Security Paper; Married Females (who are using their spouse’s last name) must also submit Original copy of PSA Authenticated Marriage Contract on Security Paper or Report of Marriage
  • Valid Government issued ID with one photocopy

Aside from the core requirements, here are additional and supporting requirements for those who fall under these specific cases:

1. If you are a Dual Citizen:

  • PSA-authenticated Birth Certificate or Report of Birth and Original Identification Certificate issued by the Philippine Foreign Service Post (PFSP) or the Bureau of Immigration (BI) and a photocopy
  • IDs should be issued either by Philippine government or from country of second citizenship

2. If you are a Naturalized Filipino Citizen:

  • Identification Certificate of Naturalization from BI

3. If you obtained your Filipino citizenship by election

  • Affidavit of Election of Philippine Citizenship
  • Identification Certificate of Election from BI

4. If you have been granted citizenship by Act of Legislation

  • CTC of the law granting citizenship
  • Foreign Birth Certificate authenticated by PFSP

What Are The Passport Requirements For Lost Passports And Damaged Ones?

If you lose your passport or damage it, there is a way to get you another one:

  • Submit a Notarized Affidavit of Loss which has a detailed explanation on when, where, and how the passport got lost
  • If the lost passport is still valid, submit a police report and a photocopy of the lost passport’s first page which bears your photo, if available.
  • There is a P350 penalty fee

Please take note that there will be a 15-day clearing period prior to the processing of application for replacement of a lost Philippine passport.

1. In case your passport was declared lost but was eventually found and returned within 15-day clearing period:

  • Submit a Notarized Affidavit of Retrieval, which has a detailed explanation on when, where, and how passport was found
  • Original and photocopy of data page and last page of passport

2. In case your passports was damaged:

  • Submit Notarized Affidavit of Mutilation, which has a detailed explanation on when, where and how passport got damaged
  • Original and photocopy of first and last page of damaged passport

What Are The Passport Requirements For Changing Your Name Due To Marriage?

After getting married and you choose to change your last name in all your documents, including your passport, you need to present the following:

  • PSA-issued Marriage Contract in Security Paper or CTC of Marriage Contract issued by the LCR and duly authenticated by PSA
  • LCR-transcribed Marriage Contract, if document are blurred or unreadable
  • If married abroad, Report of Marriage duly authenticated by PSA
  • For women with foreign national husband married in the Philippines, an original and photocopy of Commission of Filipino Overseas Guidance and Counseling Certificate of Attendance

What Are The Requirements For Passport Renewals?

The DFA said the renewal of the following passports will be treated as new applications:

  • Brown Passports
  • Green Passports
  • Machine Readable Passports (Maroon)
  • Any older Passports

1. In case of minors

  • Confirmed online appointment, if applicable
  • Accomplished application form
  • Personal Appearance of minor applicant and either parent or authorized adult companion
  • PSA Birth Certificate
  • Passport or valid government-issued ID of either parent with one photocopy
  • Current Passport of the Applicant

2. In case minor applicant is not accompanied by any of his or her parent during the application process

  • Applicant must submit a Special Power of Attorney executed by the parent or parents’ designating the minor’s companion to assist in the application process. The Special Power of Attorney must be authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate if executed abroad
  • Passport or Valid Government issued ID of authorized adult companion

3. In case minor applicant is not traveling with parents

  • Applicant must submit DSWD clearance and ASC. The ASC must be Consularized by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate if executed abroad
  • Passport or Valid Government issued ID of authorized adult companion for the List of Acceptable IDs for Passport Application)

4. For adults

The core requirements include:

  • Confirmed online appointment
  • Personal appearance
  • Accomplished Application Form
  • Current ePassport with photocopy of data page
  • Original PSA authenticated documents that will support the change of name (if applicable)
    • Marriage Contract
    • Annotated Birth Certificate
    • Annotated Marriage Contract to show annulment/divorce/court ordered instruction
    • Death Certificate of Spouse

Aside from these core requirements, here are additional documents for those who fall under these specific cases:

5. In case applicant is a Dual Citizen

  • Government-issued IDs
  • Report of Birth or Identification Certificate issued by the Philippine consulate or the BI

6. In case applicant is a Naturalized Citizen

  • Identification Certificate of Naturalization from Bureau of Immigration

7. In case applicant is a Filipino citizen by Election

  • Affidavit of Election of Philippine Citizenship
  • Identification Certificate of Election from BI

8. Overseas Filipino Workers

  • Overseas Employment Certificate
  • Exit clearance
  • Plane ticket

What Are The Passport Fees?

An Inquirer report said that Metro Manila-based passport applicants will have to pay the full processing fees, which is at P1,200 for express processing and P950 for regular processing.

They will also pay for a  “convenience fee”, which equates to a P50 added cost, as soon as they book an online appointment to apply for or renew their passports.

This will be made possible through the DFA’s ePayment system, which digitizes fee-processing transactions for all passport applicants residing in the metropolis.

This enables applicants to pay through selected payment centers nationwide, and eventually through the use of credit and debit cards or via over-the-counter cash transactions in selected banks.

Those who are renewing or applying for passports in DFA Aseana in Manila have been prepaying their passport processing fees using the ePayment Portal since last month. The ePayment system will be fully implemented by the first week of August.

How To Schedule For Passport Application or Renewal Online?

Thanks to technology advancements, gone are the days when you had to wake up in the wee hours of the morning only to line up at the DFA to get or renew your passport.

Today, the agency requires an appointment beforehand. Note that your application will not be pushed through with a proof of your appointment booking.

The DFA advises the public to file their passport applications at least 12 weeks before their intended date of travel.

There are two ways to set an appointment with the DFA:

Option #1: DFA online appointment:

  1. Go to
  2. Click on “Schedule an Appointment” at the top menu.
  3. Select “Start Group Appointment” if you’re applying in behalf of your family. Choose “Start Individual Appointment” if you’re booking for yourself.
  4. Fill in the required information
  5. Double-check the details you have indicated in the application form
  6. Choose your appointment time, date, and preferred DFA location
  7. Upon completion, the DFA will send a reference number to your email, along with a link of your filled up application form
  8. Print the form and ensure that it is with you when processing your passport at the DFA office as it is a core requirement

Option #2: Via Phone:

  1. Contact the DFA’s customer service hotline at 737-1000.
  2. Expect a customer care representative to answer your call and provide all information asked
  3. Any supplemental documents or requirements you will need to bring will be noted by the customer care representative. So it is crucial for you to follow instructions
  4. Pick the nearest DFA site where you will make a personal appearance
  5. The customer representative will provide a reference number as well as the link to your application form,
  6. As is the case with online booking, print the form and ensure that it is with you when processing your passport at the DFA office as it is a core requirement

Option #3: DFA Courtesy Lane:

Take note that the DFA offers a courtesy lane, which exempts some applicants from needing to book an online appointment. This includes:

  • Senior citizen and one travel companion
  • Person with disability and one travel companion
  • Solo parent and his or her minor child or children
  • Pregnant women
  • Minors aged seven years old and below and his or her parents and minor siblings
  • OFWs (both land-based or seafarers)

The OFW lane or courtesy lane is available at any DFA Consular office.

Where Are The Different Appointment Site Locations?

The DFA currently has 28 local sites where you can have your passport application or renewal processed.

Provincial DFA offices are located:

  • Bacolod
  • Baguio
  • Butuan
  • Cagayan de Oro
  • Calasiao
  • Cebu
  • Cotabato
  • DFA NCR South in Alabang
  • DFA Santiago City
  • Davao
  • Dumaguete
  • General Santos
  • Ilocos Norte
  • Ilo-ilo
  • La Union
  • Legazpi
  • Lipa
  • Lucena
  • Puerto Princesa
  • Tacloban
  • Tuguegarao
  • Zamboanga

Other more specific DFA sites are:

  • Angeles Branch in Angeles City’s Marquee Mall
  • DFA Aseana in Manila
  • DFA NCR East in Megamall
  • DFA NCR Northeast in Ali Mall
  • DFA NCR West in SM Manila
  • Pampanga branch in Robinsons Starmills.

What Is The Process For Passport Delivery?

New passports may be picked up at the “Passport Releasing” counter of the DFA office, the same window where you submitted your application. Just present the receipt in this section.

But if you don’t want to go through the hassle of going back to the DFA office, you can have your passport delivered to your doorsteps.

The “Courier” or “Delivery” table at the DFA office services applicants who are willing to pay a little for delivery.

The representative at the table would inform you of the exact date the passport will be delivered to you, so you have to make sure you or someone will be present at home to receive it.

Delivery usually takes a week or two after application.

Next step? Travel the world: 78 Visa-Free Countries (+eVisa & Visa-on-Arrival) for Philippine Passport Holders

Like Grit PH on Facebook

About Michie Victoriano

Michie is Grit PH's resident Marketing Research and Analyst, with more than 7 years experience in Marketing, Research, Analytics and Online Marketing; and 2 years of experience in Search Engine Optimization.

Reader Interactions


  1. Meldrid Balabala says

    Hello mam /sir..gusto ko sa nang mag earlly renew sa passport ko
    Mag expired ito next gustu ko ring kumuha nang isa para sa anak ko 16 yrs old para masabay ko sya sa pag renew ko…ano ano bang dapat gawin…please po..

    • Villa de leon says

      Good morning po tanong ko lang po yong passport ko po nagexpire last 2013 pa po, magapply po ba nang bago or puwede pa po bang marenew yong luma n passport?pls reply.

  2. zenvee magcarang says

    good day po. .
    ask q lng po. married n po kc pwd po b ang pasport q ay sngle ang aply. . thank u. . for response. .

  3. nerisa says

    iam a first timer to get hopefully a passport..i want to know those requirements really needed..please help me for this..thank you in advance!

  4. Nelson susi says

    Good day sir/mam.
    Bakit po ganun? Mag babayad na po sana ako sa 7 11 ng payment ko para sa passport.. May hinihingi pong reference number, e wala po binibigay sa akin na number mangagaling sa dfa. Pano po kaya ang gagawin ko? Gumawavpo ako ng panibagong slot para sa appointment. Hindi na daw pwede kc may nauna na akong ginawa. D ko naman po ma pa cancel dahil po wala po un code na hinihingi.

    • Dennis tinio says

      Andon po ung refernce mo sa email ad mo na gmail ..tingnan mo doon …ma cancel yan kpg na laps kna sa date na nka schedule doon..pde kna uli mg apointment

      • Arlene ruado says

        Pano po to di rin ako makabayad bkas aug 21 wla pa po akong reFerence no.. Sa anak ko po theo ruado sa alimall .sept. 30 .uulitin ko po sana kaso .pinacacacel po yung una pls po patulong po.di ko rin maview sa appointment alang code po

    • Marvin r bote says

      Pwed po ba gamitin ung nso birth certificate hnd po kc umabot ung pina deliver ko na PSA birth certificate. Pls answer po ty

    • ainel says

      ganyan din kami…sa dulo kasi ng application may options regarding s payment…e ndi nman nmin na click un “PAY NOW” kasi nga wala kmi debit card…kya ni click nmin un cancel…kaso ang nagyre…parang un buong application un na cancel….then ng try kmi ulit kaso may nauna n nga dw application…pano kya un

  5. Arnold S. Bona says

    How many days you can claim a passport if you apply online and
    will change the name by marriage?

  6. rose says

    Hello Good pm,
    Tanong ko lang po kase napirmahan ko yung sa passport ko sa mismong may information ko sa 2nd page sa may ibaba ng picture . ok lang po yun o kailangan kong kumuha ng bago.??please help po

  7. Marites Velasco says

    Sir /Madam paano po irenew ang passport kung ito po ay na release na o meron na ngunit hindi nagamit at nagexpired na. Ito po ba ay renewal or new application muli?
    Thank you!

    • Joan zapanta says

      Ask ko lang po pwede ba gamitin ng anak ko Ang apelyido ng tatay nya sa passport late na kasi kami nakasal yng nasa psa kasi ng anak ko ay apelyido ko pa d pa nmanin maayos kasi nasa ibang bansa Ang tatay nila

  8. Ellic Ray Morris says

    I would like to know if I can get a new apointment here in the USA and not have to go to the Phillippines, I have a apointment at the US Emb. in the Phillippines on 3/26/20 at 7:30 AM
    can I take care of it here insted of having to go there to do it?

  9. Angelica Abarracoso R says

    Hillo po paano po mag apply Ng passport sa first time po palang kukuha at studyante pa po ano po Ang mga kailangan para makuha Ng passport po. salamat po

  10. Rosa O says

    I am 81 years old. Meron bang proceso para mag renew ng passport online lamang? Sa high risk grupo ako, sana ma accomodate ng DFA.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *